One of 23 South Koreans held hostage in Afghanistan by the Taliban has been killed.
Taliban spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousif Ahmadi said the man had been killed because Taliban demands -- which included a prisoner release and withdrawal of South Korean troops from the country -- hadn't been met.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/25/afghanistan.hostages/index.html
As a Korean international student in the US, I have become more aware and even vulnerable to any news
related to Korea. My family and friends talked to me about this tregic news over the phone this morning.
I could not really understand what they were talking about when I first heard it. Reading this article with my own eyes made me realize the current situation of the world. The war between Iraq and the US is not the only war
between two countries. It showed me how we as participants of the globalized world is interdepended to our environments. I feel so sad that one of 23 innocent Korean hostages has been killed by the Taliban. I often times feel that everything around me is so peaceful that international issues does not really matter to my personal life. However, reading this article helped me understand how my personal life can be affected in this one globalized society.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is unfortunate and disappointing that these South Koreans have gotten themselves in this situation without even knowing what is going on. I think what the Talibans are doing is incorrect and immoral. That is some messed up foreign policy that is set up by the western countries. How unfortunate. I wonder if the Chinese are also the targets, not just the South Koreans.
Post a Comment